IRL

One day I'm going to have to change the way I relate to the internet. The amount of time I spend on it is no way to live a life, but at the same time I realise I can't abandon it completely, because the internet constitutes a kind of second society, or a society-within-a-society, which makes you a kind of recluse if you don't participate. I don't want to be a recluse, but at the same time I don't like the idea of that second society growing too large and overwhelming what is commonly referred to as IRL.

Recently I've been noticing how important IRL is to me. I've been feeling rather depressive on my own and invariably happier when I've been in the presence of friends. This is rather unusual for me because I have always fancied myself largely introverted and happy to communicate just through a textual medium for the most part, but I've come to realise it isn't that true. It tells me I should try harder to cultivate my relationships and create a space where I can socialise and exist more frequently IRL. Or at least that's what I want to tell myself.

I'm going back to Edinburgh soon, which I believe is going to be good for what I've been talking about here, but part of me is insecure about it. We'll see.

I don't have much else to say about the matter, so I'll leave it at that. This is a bit of a limp ending and I kind of feel like I haven't hit that revelatory point that is the point of writing blog posts, but oh well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SoE update

A Letter To A Friend (On Hedonism)

What Am I Interested In? [The Eternal Question]