Passion and Reason

I need to note something here, lest I forget:

Passion should take precedence over reason. By which I mean, if in a slurry of thought, I figure that something seems right and true, but then my passions, my sentiments, later contradict that strongly, I must never dismiss my passions in favour of reason: I must contemplate my contradictory passion, and in light of it, apply it to my future reasoning. This is so because everything of importance is first based upon passions -- our passions are our intellectual foundations, and if they move or slide, we must learn to build upon their new positioning.

Passion, however, is merely a foundation and is only there for us to build upon it a strong edifice of reason. And while, yes, one shouldn't ignore ones passions, it's true at the same time that your edifice of reason might naturally move your passions to align with it, and that is okay. Passions must only take precedence over reason when your passions and rationality are juxtaposed contrarily. If you have no particularly forceful passion regarding a topic, and yet reason dictates that it would be best to behave in a certain way, behave that way! Only if reason dictates that it would be best to behave in a certain way, and yet your passions scream to you that you should behave differently, should you reassess what your passions are trying to say, because--being the foundation of all reason--they may just be more rational than your previously held belief. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SoE update

A Letter To A Friend (On Hedonism)

What Am I Interested In? [The Eternal Question]