My First ... Academic Failure!



I just learnt that I failed a test worth 7.5% of my overall grade in Italian. So much as I can remember, I’ve never out-and-out failed anything academically before. I’ve done more poorly than I expected and I’ve faced disappointment, but to legitimately fail, to attain a score below the pass boundary – to me this is a novel experience. 

My reaction has been to be shaken. My confidence is shaken: confidence in my own ability and, more perniciously, confidence in whether I should be doing Italian at all. Should I give up? Should I relinquish the possibility for an opportunity to live abroad for a year because clearly I’m not fit to study the subject? Should I stick to Philosophy – something I am at least decent at? 

There are many metaphors and illustrations to use that describe how I feel right now. I feel like a junior sporting champion who, despite coming first in all local competitions with ease and flourish, finds himself in last place when he competes in the nationals. I feel like an old aristocrat who, through social change, has been demoted to the middle classes. What do these pictures have in common? The realisation that I am not special, that I too am subject to certain maxims and imperatives of life. Last year I came to this realisation quite quickly with philosophy: I began to hang around with especially talented people in the field of philosophy, students who I’m certain will be future academics, and I realised I don’t have the option to coast anymore if I wish to do well. I was shown what it takes and I upped my game. However, no such parallel was found in Italian.  In fact, I did coast through Italian 1 and I passed without much effort. My grade wasn’t perfect or even ideal, but I got a low 2.1 and that is all that mattered. Now, in Italian 2, the work is suddenly so much more difficult, but my mind still believes (with years of reinforcement) that I can still coast and survive. But now I’ve been shown the opposite.  My test score was 3 marks below passing. “That’s not that low,” you might interject, but you must realise it’s still a fail and I’m not used to this. 

The damage isn’t irreversible, though. 7.5% of my overall grade is just a small portion, and if I can consistently get in the 60-70 range for the rest of my assessments, I might be able to salvage a respectable final mark. It shows me, however, that I need to work hard in Italian to achieve. The fact that (if I succeed) I have to live there next year should have spurned me on from the beginning, but no, it took failure. This failure is a blessing in disguise. It reminds me that half my degree is Italian and so I need to work just as hard on it as I do with Philosophy. At present, the balance is far more in favour of Philosophy. This doesn’t make any sense. 

Things will change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SoE update

A Letter To A Friend (On Hedonism)

What Am I Interested In? [The Eternal Question]