Yesterday I returned from my travels to Scotland (Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow) with my friend, and today I am spending all day lying in bed with my laptop and doing nothing in particular. It feels good. Again, the visit up north was worth it, and has confirmed the fact that I will be accepting Edinburgh as my firm choice and Glasgow as my insurance.
Of the three places, Edinburgh was my favourite, due to what seemed to be a completely friendly disposition among the people, beautiful surroundings (architecture and nature -- envision strolling down a street and glimpsing powerful mountainous landscapes from the corner of your eye), the general feel of the city, and the university. At the talks we heard tale of the fun things you can get up to in the university societies, of which the Philosophy Society enthused me. There still exists a nervous element within me about starting a new life in (technically) a different country, but that's natural, and besides it's accompanied by a great excitement. It will be interesting.
We also went to St Andrews to get an idea of it because my friend applied there. It's quite a small town; you can walk around the whole thing in about half an hour, which gives it a tight-knit feeling. It isn't for me, but I can see how it might be appealing. Despite its small area, it doesn't feel like you'd get bored too easily, and it's an easy bus/train ride away from nearby larger cities, so it's perfect for somebody who enjoys the quiet, but occasionally enjoys the bustle of a city.
Glasgow was interesting. Much larger than both the other two cities, it had that strange isolationist effect on the citizens: the more populous the place, the more "to-themselves" the people are. It came off across as them being less friendly, but I know that's not a completely fair assessment. In ambiance it felt a bit like Birmingham does. The university is a few minutes outside of the core of the city and so away from the heavy buzz. The campus is absolutely beautiful -- arguably the most beautiful of the three places we visited, but in general I still prefer Edinburgh in terms of where I want my future to lie.
The trip in itself was fun, enjoyable, but my companion was slightly ... conservative. In my mind I imagined three days of sober, serious exploration by morning, and swirling, excited drunken soaring by night, but that's not her style, I suppose. She was also attached to her BlackBerry, contacting her boyfriend very frequently, which, coupled with her naturally quiet disposition, made things ... just okay, I guess. I think the best way (or at least the best way that I can think of right now) to describe it is that she's an introvert through-and-through, whereas I'm an introvert that secretly longs to be an extrovert, and so I think there might have been a miscommunication in expectations there.
I still enjoyed it, though. Good trip. I really do hope to go back in September.
Now - pictures:
 |
| University of Edinburgh |
 |
| Going To St Andrews |
 |
| The scenery on the way to St Andrews was fantastic |
 |
| Stairs in St Andrews that felt metaphorical but in what way I'm not sure |
 |
| View of Edinburgh from our hotel |
.jpg) |
| A typical Edinburgh street |
 |
| Glasgow City Centre |
 |
| University of Glasgow |
 |
| University of Glasgow |
 |
| Breakfast at Costa Coffee on the last day -- latte and calming view of regal Edinburgh |
Comments
Post a Comment