University of Exeter, or The Spontaneous Road Trip

I went to Exeter on a whim with a friend (L.) and her parents yesterday. The university of Exeter is one of the places from which I've received an offer, so I thought it would a good idea to visit. Well, partially that, but mostly because I just like to travel.

The university itself is decent. It's rigged with hills, though, which makes traversing the campus difficult, but I suppose that is good exercise. The city itself was not too bad; it's quite comfortable, and one can imagine themselves living there -- there are relics of an older city peeking through the newly applied layer of modernity. It's rife with pubs, too.

To me, however, the place was just average; I didn't feel any ecstasy or anything. The most noteworthy thing about the whole trip, really, was the fact that I went on a spontaneous trip with a friend that I've only really got to know over the last 2 months. I quite enjoyed doing that; I think it might be quite necessary to often do things that remove you from the unproductive plains of comfort. What is life if it's spent standing still, in one spot, waiting to die? I think the idea is to explore the realms of possibility, in terms of emotions, in terms of travel, in terms of thoughts.

Occasionally L and I wouldn't have much to say, but that was mostly because her parents were there (who were amazing, though, and treated me like a family member for the day), and I simply don't interact well with parents; I'm not sure why. It's probably because in my mind they just hold an inherent authoritative quality and I tend to retreat from that. But yeah, occasionally we wouldn't have much to say, but most of the time it was quite comfortable, especially that we haven't known each other for that long.

It's taught me that one must dive into an occasion and let the confidence come subsequently, not to expect it to be there initially and immediately. This applies to anything, I believe: a day trip with a new friend, the beginnings of a friendship, relationship, any new endeavour. Let your passion and reason lead you into new situations, but don't expect them to breed complete confidence: only experience can do that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SoE update

A Letter To A Friend (On Hedonism)

What Am I Interested In? [The Eternal Question]