Laura Marling 02/03/12


This post is long overdue. Almost two weeks ago I went to see Laura Marling on my own. It was the first gig I've ever attended alone, and so it was kind of a big deal for me. I had already missed her when she came on her cathedral tour, and so when I found out she'd be here again so soon, I immediately bought a ticket. I only know one other friend who's as into Laura as I am, but he must have been low on funds or something, because I ended up purchasing my ticket and going alone.

Laura Marling herself was sublime. Her voice travels across that hall seamlessly and invades the innermost core of your being, warming or chilling you, depending on her intent. There is little else to say about it but this: if you get the opportunity to see Laura Marling live, do it.



What I want to spend a few words on is discussing the experience of going to a gig alone. It reminded me of the fact that, like anything, experience of a situation helps in feeling comfortable about it, and so when I first got there, alone, I did feel quite awkward. I didn't get as many pictures as I'd liked to have because of this, but as the night went by, and I got used to it, I began to get slightly more comfortable. I'm glad I did it because Laura was well worth it, but being solitary did make me hyper-self-aware and slightly anxious. I may do such a thing again, but a little something to calm my nerves beforehand would definitely be in order if I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SoE update

A Letter To A Friend (On Hedonism)

What Am I Interested In? [The Eternal Question]