University of Oxford
Yesterday I went to that old Ford of the Oxen. The ancient town, home of budding scholars. I won't lie; it did little for me. The buildings were pretty and the university nice, but it was so very half-way. It was modernity encrusted in antiquity, which I didn't enjoy very much. It enticed the city boy within, but it didn't satisfy and only served to make me think of how much better I would be suited to Edinburgh (Edinburgh being modern and ancient, not a bit of both like Oxford is), I think. (I mention that because our reason for going was my friend is attending an Oxford University summer school programme and Oxford is one of her choices for university. Not only am I, personally, unlikely to get into Oxford, but having actually visited, I wouldn't much want to).
But yeah, all the same, I love university towns because of the buzz that students bring with them, but I wasn't enamoured by Oxford. (In all fairness, being 17 does restrict many things you can do, so perhaps a visit when I'm over 18 is in order, but until then, I wasn't amazed. Impressed but not bewitched).
But here, have some pictures. I took more, but I'm not about to put them all in one post:
But yeah, all the same, I love university towns because of the buzz that students bring with them, but I wasn't enamoured by Oxford. (In all fairness, being 17 does restrict many things you can do, so perhaps a visit when I'm over 18 is in order, but until then, I wasn't amazed. Impressed but not bewitched).
But here, have some pictures. I took more, but I'm not about to put them all in one post:













Comments
Post a Comment