Review #2: The Divided Brain and The Search For Meaning: Why Are We So Unhappy?

God, I've been falling behind on these, and this is going to be shitty and rushed, just so I can get it out, which is awful, but I guess that is the nature of these things.

I read a short 10,000 word essay called The Divided Brain and The Search For Meaning in late January by a lecturer who came to my university and spoke about how our brain physiology affects our understanding of the world, and it was a brilliant lecture, my favourite of the year.

The idea is that the left-hemisphere 'is' representationally-minded, substituting the richness of the world for symbols and icons in order to understand more quickly, breaking down the bigger picture into its smaller parts, in a word, logical.

The right-hemisphere 'is' more inclusive of the wholes, understands all-encompassing ideas that the left hemisphere has trouble with,  deals with empathy and the more detailed recognition of facts about life, like human faces and the details of nature, i.e. not iconastic like the other hemisphere; in a word ... I don't really know. But it's wholer, I guess.

The author wants to suggest that the former ought to be the emissary and the latter should be the master, but he worries that the emissary is getting out of hand, believing that the true power lies within him, and in his longer book (The Master and His Emissary), details what the predominance of "left-brain" thought is doing to society.

The short essay covers much of the same topics he spoke about in the talk he gave at my uni, but it's still truly worth a read and I recommend it. His approach isn't new-agey; it's backed by research and is scientific, but is humanistic in its scope. Which, I guess, reflects how he believes we ought to be in our approach to life, and which hemisphere we train and use.

One day I will read his longer tome, his magnus opus, but for now the short essay and talk will placate me.

Recommended! Iain McGilchrist, check him out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SoE update

A Letter To A Friend (On Hedonism)

What Am I Interested In? [The Eternal Question]